2019 NC State Fair Hay Show Winners
Congratulations to those who placed in the top of their categories at the 2019 NC State Fair Hay Show.
Hay samples were ranked based on a weighed scored that considered TDN (total digestible nutrients), CP (crude protein), a visual score (weed presence, leaf shatter, maturity, etc.), and adjusted for nitrate concentration.
The score was calculated as:
Weighed score = visual score (0.4) + TDN (0.4) + CP (0.2) + Nitrate adjustment.
- Carl Walker
- Christopher Stegall (3rd cut)
- Taylor Waitt
- John Burt
- Troy Jackson
Tall Fescue category:
- Scott Baucom
- Christopher Stegall (*This submission also won Best in Show across all categories)
Other Cool-season Grasses category:
- Christopher Stegall (ryegrass)
Mixed Cool-season Grasses category:
- John Salmi
Other Warm-season Grasses category:
- Christopher Stegall (crabgrass)
Grass-legume Mixture category:
- Christopher Stegall (alfalfa-crabgrass)
Congratulations to all winners and thank you to all participants, NC State Extension, and USDA-APHIS personnel that coordinated the 2019 Hay Contest.